1.0 Research & Development (R&D)
1.1 Design and Development of Modern Carpet Loom
- With a view to improve the working conditions of carpet artisans, the Institute conducted an extensive research for more than four years (2005-2008) and developed the design of Modern Carpet Loom, first of its kind in the State/Country.
- After necessary trail runs/modifications, the Govt. has accorded approval to the Introduction of 8000 such Modern Carpet Looms in the carpet industry at a total cost of Rs. 4000.0 lakhs as per the funding pattern of 80:20, being the share of Govt. of India and the State Govt. respectively.
- Almost all 8000 Modern Carpet Looms along with sitting benches, absolutely free of cost, have been distributed among the registered carpet artisans.
- Recently, it has been decided that 6000 additional Modern Carpet Looms would be provided, as per the above funding pattern, to eligible beneficiaries, at a total cost of 3000.0 lakhs.
1.2 Study on using locally available Reeled Mulberry Silk as raw material for Silk Carpets
- 20-25% of the total production of Mulberry Silk is being consumed within the State and that too for Sarees & other Silk fabrics, and the Silk yarn for carpets is being imported from other parts of the country.
- The Institute conducted a study for exploring the possibility of utilizing Reeled Mulberry Silk available in the State as raw material for hand knotted Silk carpets.
- The quality of silk carpets developed with reeled mulberry silk yarn was observed at par with the quality of Iranian Silk carpets.
- This initiative was highly appreciated by the stake holders with the hope that it will go a long way in boosting not only the carpet industry but also the silk industry of the State.
- However, the industry is reluctant to use this type of silk yarn due to its higher cost than that of spun silk yarn.
1.3 Standardization of the process of carpet washing
- The entire process of carpet washing along with the types and quantities of Chemicals and auxiliaries was minutely analyzed.
- The quality of chemicals, auxiliaries along with their consumption and method of washing was streamlined after carrying out necessary trials on large number of carpets.
- The findings of the study were shared with the stake holders & they were advised to adopt the standardized process/method of carpet for best possible results.
1.4 Suitability/ Viability of application of Natural dyes
- There is a growing demand of eco-friendly products in the international market and stakeholders are approaching the Institute for the facilities of natural dyeing.
- The Institute after conducting necessary study followed by trials on different types of raw material is now in a position to provide facility of natural dyeing on Silk/Wool/Pashmina yarn at reasonable/ affordable charges.
- The Institute has developed more than 200 different shades of woolen /Silk with vegetable dyes.
1.5 Registration of Kashmiri Silk Carpets under Geographical Indication of Goods Act.
- With a view to provide legal protection and safeguard against use of registered Geographical Indication by others, the Institute, after putting in extensive hard work for more than 05 years, has finally succeeded in registering Kashmiri Hand Knotted Carpet under Geographical Indication of Goods Act”, which is a big achievement for our centuries old carpet industry of the State.
- The Geographical Indication Registration Certificate in the name of “Kashmiri Hand Knotted Carpet” has been issued by the competent authority on 13-06-2016.
- The work on finalization of information to be depicted on the G.I. label is in process and necessary consultations with the stakeholders are in progress in this regard.
1.6 Baseline survey of 20,000 carpet artisans under Srinagar Mega Carpet cluster
- With a view to identify the problems/ difficulties being confronted by carpet artisans, a baseline survey of 20000 artisans of Srinagar Mega Carpet Cluster has been sanctioned by O/o Development Commissioner (Handicrafts),Ministry of Textiles, Govt. of India .
- The baseline survey of practising carpet artisans of Srinagar District is in progress and necessary information/ data is being obtained from artisans in the prescribed format .As many as 1400 active carpet artisans have been covered till date.
- Since 20,000 artisans are to be covered, and the Institute shall have to conduct survey of craft concentrated areas of other Districts like Budgam, Baramulla, which are nearer to Srinagar District.